Bearport Publishing specializes in creating high-interest, visually appealing books that focus on fun and unusual topics that young readers love. Trade-like design, using a combination of both photographs and illustrations, and playful titling are what distinguish us in the K-8 educational market. For over 18 years Bearport has been creating books that feel less like supplemental texts and more like the books children really want to read.
Designer-Book Production (POSTED 11-22-23)
We are currently looking for a dynamic Designer to join our growing team. This position is immediate and will work with the Product Development Team in the design and production of Bearport’s books across its multiple imprints. Working on Bearport books requires an aptitude for effective design that supports excellent editorial content, as well as proficiency in industry-standard production practices. A Designer’s goal will be to select captivating photographs, create meaningful graphics, and produce excellent visual layouts that support and illuminate the content, in addition to producing a wide variety of production files. Work may include photo research, photo editing, design and layout, implementing corrections in multiple rounds, file preparation for print production, and design and production support for other various editorial or company needs.
This position will report to the Director of Product Development. Remote work is considered for this position. Position title and salary commensurate with experience. BIPOC candidates are encouraged to apply.
Experience and Skills
• A degree in Graphic Design or equivalent work experience
• Experience with Adobe InDesign & Photoshop and familiarity with other applications within the Adobe Creative Suite
• Experience in book publishing
• Experience in photo research and selection
• Excellent organization, self-management, and communication skills
• An ability and desire to learn new skills quickly, and be responsible for continued professional growth
• A positive and helpful attitude, and a willingness to work hard and have fun in a growing company
• Paid time off and holidays
• Health, dental, and optical insurance
• Life and long-term disability insurance options available
• 401k with company match
• Paid parental leave
• Summer work hours
Does Bearport sound like the place for you? Tell us why you’d make an outstanding addition to our staff as a Designer. Please send a cover letter, resume, a link to a portfolio or samples, and salary requirements to email@example.com. No phone calls please.